Saturday, July 29, 2006

Don't Study Jane Austen's Work

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


Don't study Jane Austen's work: enjoy it!

I read Jane Austen reluctantly, to fill a gap in my education. The very first line told me, "This lady is fun to be with." She writes, "Any single man with 10,000 a year must be in need of a wife."

When all is said and done, the plot is basically, girls meet boys, girls lose boys, girls get boys. Two elder sisters are curious about two rich bachelors in chapter one, and are married to both by the end. The obstacles to both marriages are mostly social class. The girls' family the Bennets are afflicted by an eccentric father -- jovial, but distant as he can be from the mistress of the household, a histrionic and blatant missus. There's a serious old-maid-in-the-making named Mary who spends a lot of time in her room drawing moral pictures. Then there are two 18th century Valley Girls, Lydia and Kitty, frivolous and man-crazy.

Austen's method for developing her story is almost like the music of her day -- when "classical" was modern. That is, she introduces, repeats, and manipulates contrasting themes. The younger sisters contrast the serious Mary; Mrs. contrasts Mr., and the pair of them contrast the intelligent, gracious, modest Uncle and Aunt Gardiner. Mr. Bingley contrasts in his amiability to his friend Darcy in his aloofness. And, at center, Elizabeth's spirited wit and acumen contrast to her older sister Jane's quiet modesty and determined good opinion of everyone.

Occasionally I got impatient --Ok, already: Elizabeth loves Darcy, Darcy loves Elizabeth; they misread each other and were misled by pride and prejudice -- bring this charade to an end!-- I enjoyed it page by page and was satisfied overall as by a classical symphony. I felt a rush of goodwill when Elizabeth and Darcy in one of their walks finally confess their feelings.

All along, I had extra enjoyment from getting into life of the time: the rhythm of visits and meals and letters; how a three-mile visit is a major undertaking; how a cold becomes a two-week convalescence three miles from home; how everyone' income (all inherited, it seems) is everyone's knowledge and might as well be advertised; how conversation is frankly a kind of competition involving everyone as players and judges.

Also enjoyed extremely boring Reverend Collins, hate his worshiped "Lady Catherine de Bourgh," and marvel at how young teenaged girls of today are so much like Lydia and Kitty.

-from notes I wrote before blogs existed in February, 1996


[The late P.D. James set a murder mystery among Austen's characters.  Read my comments about Death Comes to Pemberley. ]

2 comments:

W. Scott Smoot said...

I just posted this Jane Austen item at the request of a blog commentor, and ran across a Jane Austen news item that relates to the very attractive star of THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA:

[Anne Hathaway] explains, "I'm even horrified that I'm playing Jane Austen! I'm like, 'Really? Me? Kate Winslet isn't available?' Jane Austen's been one of my favorite authors since I was 14 years old and I've always kind of felt a connection to her, so I couldn't be more thrilled. And I'm sure I couldn't have disappointed more people."

Director Ang Lee has assured Hathaway she is perfect for the part and even taught her how to curtsy. But actress Anna Chancellor, who is a direct descendant of Austen, criticized Hathaway's casting earlier this year. She said, "In my mind Anne Hathaway is just too pretty to play her. Jane was a very plain woman. Her beauty was in her brain. But that's what Hollywood does."

Anonymous said...

ok, so i have to admit...i am addicted to facebook, blogs, myspaces, ect, so i'll probably end up a constant poster. and it is nice to read a blog that discusses intelligent topics! especially jane austen! YAY!

she is, of course, one of my favorite authors. 'pride and prejudice' is up in the ranks, and most of her work is the same story (as you mentioned). but she manages to write each book in a way that is new and refreshing from the others (to me, anyways).

another one of my favorites is 'persuasion.' i loved this one because austen allows you to see how deep the feelings run between wentworth and anne, specifically wentworth, in the letter he writes her. i can't remember if there's anything more romantic in 'p & p' (it's been a few years since i've read it), but the letter in 'persuasion' has always stuck with me. just for good measure, here's an excerpt:

"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feeling are gone forever. [...] I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. [...] Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice indeed. You do believe there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating in

F. Wentworth"

such poetry! it swoons me every time. haha alright, getting carried away. until next time-