Monday, June 03, 2019

Mia Doesn't Even Know She's Sick


This morning, from the Vet's office, I texted Susan, friend to me and to my dog Mia: "Tumor now blocking kidneys; kidney failure will be her end. More chemo in four weeks."

A kind woman at the vet's, seeing the tears in my eyes, reassured me that the dog is lovely and happy. Susan, walking with us this afternoon, reminded me that Mia doesn't even know she's sick, and every moment with her is precious.


I've written about her before, with photos. See "Mia's Anima, a Dog's Soul" (10/31/2015). One of my most popular posts is about a time when she was away at boot camp, learning how to be less of a demon dog around other canines, "Dogless Days of August" (08/03/2016)



[Susan took this photo during a walk, shortly after Mia, excited by a deer,  had shoved her paw through a window. This would be early in our lives together, around 2015.]








[Photo: Susan appreciates Mia, while Mia scans the cemetery for squirrels and other dogs.]




















No comments: