Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Virtual Bike Ride on Maine Street

←← | ||

287 miles from Boston to Bar Harbor
November 21 - December 29, 2020
After my visit to Bar Harbor in July 2013, I wrote how different things are in Maine,
where billboards evidently aren't allowed, where pine trees are shaped like Christmas trees, and white-barked birches fill forests; where my friend Suzanne and I drove 100 miles without seeing traffic, a truck stop, a shopping mall, or McDonald's. These are high on my list of things I don't want in my life any more.
I hear that's a common reaction. A Mainard on NPR said that many people move to Maine for a life of picturesque isolation and leave after one winter.

That would be me. My doctored selfie shows Bar Harbor's Main Street during this week when the temperature there never topped 34 degrees Fahrenheit. I purchased that sweatshirt from Acadia National Park nearby when the summer air was a little too cool for me at the summit of Cadillac Mountain. This week, I had to wear it riding because my actual location northwest of Atlanta was gripped by temperatures in the lower 60s. While Bar Harbor's tourism office VisitBarHarbor.com makes winter there sound great, I'm okay with virtual travel.

←← | || Use the arrows to follow my bike tour from the start.

No comments: