Sunday, September 22, 2019

Ten Years Cycling the John Lewis Freedom Trail


Saturdays from late spring to early autumn, the John Lewis Freedom Trail has offered me a varied landscape for an easy and mostly car - free loop from Atlanta to Stone Mountain park. It's always a slow time, because of all the stops and starts for traffic lights, pedestrians, and blind driveways.

Only this past week, I recognized those stops as opportunities to practice acceleration. I remember early in my biking that I made the connection between acceleration, its frequency and intensity, and fitness. So on the trail in the past week, I've had my best two times of the year, closest to the best time ever.

I wrote a reflection for Independence Day on the communities through which the trail passes, Does God Bless America? (07/05/2017)

[Photos from top: Reflection in a building on Boulevard in Atlanta, following a time of 12.3; yesterday during a break for snack at Stone Mountain, the trail upward to the village of Stone Mountain wending behind me; and reflection in my car window at the end of the ride, average speed 13.9 mph. The all - time best is 14.2.]



























No comments: