Sunday, August 02, 2020

Atlanta's Fastest 61-yr-old Episcopalian Sondheim Freak on a Bike

As happened last year,  in the weekend before faculty workshops begin F2F (that's post-COVID for "face-to-face," v. webinars), I've ridden my bike at my fastest times of the summer, coming home at my lightest weight.  

Yesterday, I rode the John Lewis Freedom Trail from MLK Center to Stone Mountain and back in my fastest time of the year, 14.0.  This morning I skipped online church to ride the Silver Comet to Brushy Mountain, 52 miles at 17.  Weigh 146 before making a pizza dinner with Susan as per our usual routine. So everything's exactly as it was in my blog post of one year ago today.

Brandy has been with me one year, and she's panting here in the kitchen, content after a brisk constitutional along Marietta's lovely rail-side walk.

[Read about The World's Fastest Man, a great biography of cyclist Major Taylor, phenom of the early 20th century sports world, America's first professional black athlete.]













Below:  Brandy, one year anniversary.  Photo by Susan Rouse.

Update: 08/16/2020. On the last weekend before school, I got in 31 miles to Stone Mountain - my usual route minus the mountain itself, which was preoccupied with confrontations between CSA militiamen and BLM activists, and 31 miles on the Silver Comet Trail at 16.7 m.p.h. Not the best time of the summer, but tied for second best. Weight 143.

 

No comments: