Saturday, December 19, 2020

O Christmas Ladder

Why decorate a blue A-frame six-foot ladder for Christmas?
  • God "has lifted up the humble and meek," sings Mary in the Gospel of Luke. This humble household instrument makes a fine analog, lifted from the cobwebs in my carport, festooned with cards from friends and family, made a beacon of colorful lights to my back-facing neighbors.
  • Jacob's vision of angels ascending and descending a "ladder" on their errands to earth is likewise a symbol of what this season is truly about, God's involvement down here with us.
  • The ladder is shaped like a Christmas tree.
  • The ladder saves $499 - $799, prices that knocked me out when I searched for reusable trees yesterday.
In case you're wondering, to stand Big Boy where others place a star or an angel is no sacrilege. He's a family legacy, symbol of Frisch's restaurants, created in Cincinnati by Dave Frisch, whose daughter Blanche was my aunt, and whose son-in-law was my Uncle Jack Maier, longtime CEO of the business.
Collage: My other DIY decorations, up for twelve days of Christmas (i.e., until Epiphany), clockwise from top left: candles in the window illuminate colorful gift bags; a Christmas landscape on the baby grand, with ornament-tree, reindeer, and a golden tray of Christmas martinis; Charlie Brown sits at a winter-scape painting that my parents bought from a Chicago artist in 1967; "Mom" portrait with stylish Santa hat; Grandmother's decanter, silver tray, and ornaments.

No comments: