Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Cycling America Virtually: Elko, Nevada

←← | ||

275 miles to Elko, Nevada
From Pocatello, Idaho, I completed the 275 miles to reach Humboldt National Park near Elko, Nevada. (I actually ride around Atlanta, but I'm logging miles across America, with photos courtesy of Adobe.)

I connect to Elko, home of the annual National Cowboy Poetry Gathering, an event now called plain "Elko" by cowboy cognoscenti. I relate through radio commentator Baxter Black, "cowboy poet and former large animal veterinarian" who provided poems and commentary on NPR for many years. In tribute, here's my poem about an actual experience at the end of my bike ride:

Doggerel

When I had a-pedalled to virtual Elko,
I groaned as I hoisted myself from the saddle.
Unsnapping my helmet, unstrapping shoe Velcro
I came face-to-face with some actual cattle.

This suburban fam'ly had put up a stable.
A calf stared at me with eyes widened and soggy.
I said, "Little dogie, I'd chat, were I able,
but it's late. I'm awaited by my little doggie."

[Photo: Same cows at that fam'ly home, ready for their closeup]

←← | || Use the arrows to follow the entire tour from the start.

No comments: