Tuesday, February 02, 2021

For Frank Boggs at 94

In 1973, I was a freshman in the Westminster Chorale, directed by Frank Boggs, "Mr. Boggs" to us. We were learning Vivaldi's Gloria. I'd never heard Baroque music; I'd never sung Latin or even seen it; I had no idea what a church Mass is.

When we came to the second movement, Mr. Boggs translated the text et in terra pax hominibus, "and on earth, peace to all mankind." The music was somber and slow. Frank paused rehearsal to ask, "Now, why would Vivaldi choose to set such a joyous message in a minor key?"

I'd never thought to ask why any artist ever did anything. He listened to our theories and never gave a definitive answer. So the discussion continued among us, coming up again even after graduation.

In that one moment, I was learning lessons that have carried me through 45 years' singing in church choirs and 40 years of teaching middle school English and drama:

  • how to deepen my faith through music
  • how to appreciate the thought behind art, and --
  • how to teach!
Happy birthday, Frank. The Lord bless you and keep you.
[This is the text of a message recorded for presentation to Frank on his 94th birthday February 3rd. The photograph is a portion of the photo collage I made for FB's retirement, showing photos of Frank ca. age 50 from my years in his Chorale, 1973-1977. In the lower left is a photo of Frank with wife Doris, taken in Moscow, June 1977.]
Other Blog Posts About Frank Boggs
  • Echoes of My Teacher's Voice(01/2019)
  • Frank Boggs at 90 -- at 50, Frank sang "You Make Me Feel So Young" for his teenage choir; for his 90th birthday, I rewrote the lyrics for him (1/26/17)
  • Drill it in or Tease it Out? This is a reflection on the way Frank taught us (10/1/13)
  • Georgia Festival Chorus Celebrates "Legacy" (5/21/18) ends with links to reviews of Frank's performances that I've written over the years.

No comments: