Thursday, July 15, 2021

Cycling America, Virtually: Santa Fe, New Mexico

←← | ||

366 miles to Santa Fe's Festival Opera House
In twelve days on trails around Atlanta, I've pedaled the distance from Arizona to Santa Fe for my virtual tour of places I've lived and loved. To keep up my tradition of riding my age in miles each birthday, I rode 60 miles Tuesday and added two miles to my short ride today.

My connection to Santa Fe is limited to having once priced a week at the famous opera festival some years ago. I hate travel and used to be bored by classic operas, so even considering a trip to Santa Fe was an indication of how important opera had become for me.

My love of the classic repertoire started during act one of Turandot. I remember thinking, "I don't care that the story is stupid; I love it anyway!" Within a few years, the Metropolitan Opera began its "Live in HD" series of broadcasts to theatres, and my mentor Frank Boggs made sure I went to see all the classics with him over several years. [See Remembering Frank Boggs (04/2021)] Later, I was joined by my friends Susan and Suzanne.

My blogposts about operas are only a fraction of what I've enjoyed. I wish I'd written about Girl of the Golden West, Tosca, Macbeth, Boris Gudonov, everything I've ever seen by Donizetti, Peter Grimes, and many others that slip my mind now. I enjoy re-reading my accounts of operas I saw years ago.

←← | || Use the arrows to follow the entire bike tour from the start.

No comments: