Monday, May 16, 2022

Bike from Away

←← | ||

Scott Smoot at Arches Provincial Park, virtually

This month I've biked 448 miles around Atlanta. On the map of my virtual tour of the world, 448 miles takes me from the Gaspé Peninsula to Gander, Newfoundland. For my photo, I bent the path to include Newfoundland's Arches Provincial Park.

Gander is a small town that came to the world's attention on 9/11/2001. When the US closed its air space, 33 planes suddenly had nowhere to land but the regional airport on the northern shore of Newfoundland.  With no advance warning, Gander and other small towns suddenly had thousands of guests for an uncertain amount of time.

The musical Come From Away tells that story. The same actors portray both anxious passengers and townspeople determined to make their guests welcome. For many, it was a life-altering experience -- in a good way. Come Away Feeling Good (07/2019) is my take on the show.

After living the story through that show, I can add Gander to my virtual tour of "places I've lived or loved." 

448 miles from Quebec to Gander, Newfoundland
April 24 - May 16, 2022

I'm 9856 miles into my second virtual bike trip around the world.
Riding on trails around Atlanta, I've cycled 1189 miles in 2022, average speed 15.3


←← | || Use the arrows to trace the entire bike tour from the start.

No comments: