Thursday, November 05, 2020

Dementia Diary: To Mom, beautiful as ever at 86...

... from Scott, still cute at 61.

That's the gist of the birthday greeting I passed to Mom today via Laura, with Visiting Angels, who has known Mom for around 5 years, now.

Since I took this selfie with Mom early in the year, I've barely seen her in person. Still, she laughs easily when we talk on the phone or have a pre - arranged - socially - distanced - masked encounter as regulations and reservations allow. She sometimes phones to say that she's in a nice sort of hotel or hospital or something but ready to come home. I remind her that this is her home, that she has Laura visiting her every day for several hours, and that the staff knows Mom's memory is shot. "They know you well," I say. "They've nicknamed you 'Princess.'"

Pause. Then Mom will say, "Well, that's how it should be."

On that note, we end the phone call.

No comments: