Sunday, November 15, 2020

Cycling America Virtually: Pocatello, Idaho

←← | ||

95 miles to Kinport Peak
Riding my bike on pavement around Atlanta in relative warmth, I'm marking miles on a map of America. Before now, I've "visited" only places I've been. But, after Jackson Hole, WY, I've struck out to terra non-recognito.

Setting my sights on Reno, Nevada, where my Dad spent the summer of 1968, I've taken a virtual side tour to Pocatello, Idaho. I've never been there, but the map tells me it's in territory of the Niitsitapi tribe, a.k.a. the Blackfeet. Dad spent several months among them when he was doing geological surveys for his PhD in clay minerology. One of my prized possessions as a little boy was an arrowhead from Dad.

[PHOTO: a mash up of a mountain biker's summer shot of Kinport Peak in 2018 and a photo of me that I took in Mississippi last year during my annual Thanksgiving ride with Jason.]

←← | || Use the arrows to follow the entire tour from the start.

No comments: