Sunday, March 28, 2021

Cycling America Virtually: Reno, West of Winter

←← | ||

289 Miles to Reno, NV
Riding a little bit when winter weather allowed, and more during the onset of spring, I've covered the miles that would take me from Elko, NV to Reno.

Though I've never been to Reno, it looms large in my childhood memories. Dad spent the summer of 1968 there doing who-knows-what for Nalco, a company later absorbed into Halliburton. [See "Remembering Dad" (11/2010)]

He told me decades later how he toured several subterranean levels of a military facility in the desert, and got stopped on his way out by a guard who told his host, "This guy isn't authorized to see what you showed him." Before it was straightened out, Dad figured Mom would be told that he'd been in a terrible accident.

Mom took her first plane flight to join him for a few weeks. Back home in Chicago, we got Grandmother for our babysitter, so I wasn't complaining.

During his time there, Dad took up wood carving. For me, who that summer had discovered Mad magazine, he carved the iconic Alfred E. Neuman. [See photo. Read "MAD Sanity" (04/2013)]

A few years later, Dad made his masterpiece, a portrait of our West Highland Terrier "Colonel" (below). [For more on Colonel, see "My Life in Dogs" (07/2019)]

Next stop: 218 miles to San Francisco! (I've got a 30 mile head start.)

←← | || Use the arrows to follow the entire tour from the start.

No comments: