Tuesday, June 01, 2021

My Niece's Wedding

Back in 1998, knowing I'd never have children of my own, I relocated to Marietta, GA to be near my brother's son Craig and younger daughter Mary Alice. I'd be the uncle who'd spoil them and tell them stories of their extended family -- ensuring that memories of my grandparents, aunts, and uncles would go on.

Then my brother moved his family south, settling in Valdosta, nearly a state away. Still, my niece and nephew (my "niblings") reached out to me over the years.

This Memorial Day weekend, I joined them when Mary Alice married Jay Vinehout in "The Barn," an event space at Young Harris, GA. Her friends were there, and his friends and comrades from his unit were there. An officer spoke of their commitment to each other, tested and strengthened by Jay's recent mission to Afghanistan from which, they all knew, he might not have returned.

Lots of us got emotional: Jay shed tears when he turned to see Mary Alice's solitary walk down the aisle; bride and groom both choked up saying their personally-composed vows; and the bride stepped up to lay a supportive hand alongside her father's face when he had trouble finishing his message that marriage is hard and that he's confident these two will be able to sustain their commitment and grow. [Thanks to nephew Craig Smoot for his photo from the wedding reception.]

[Below: The wedding took place in this field on the white folding chairs in the background, witnessed by the majestic green foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.]

No comments: