Sunday, June 06, 2021

Cycling America Virtually: Los Angeles

←← | ||

388 miles to LA
From San Francisco April 9, I arrived at virtual LA on June 5. I'm in the Hollywood Hills taking my selfie.

Among my very earliest memories is being at the LA home of my Aunt Harriet and Uncle Bert around 1962. She liked to recall how I awoke her in the middle of the night to help me locate the bathroom. I prefer to remember our visit to Disneyland when it was new. I recall the Mad Tea Party and the Matterhorn. I may or may not have seen mermaids there. I took it all very seriously. [My reminiscence about Aunt Harriet forty-plus years later is one of my favorite blogposts (07/2018)]

Most vividly of all, I remember the city at evening. Aunt Harriet's patio seems to have looked out on an open field; the city glittered in the distance, from where the beams of searchlights shot into the dark clouds far behind me and swept above the farthest horizon.

←← | || Use the arrows to follow this tour from the beginning.

No comments: