Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Accessible Art

Percy Shelley, poet mentioned in williez's blog
My article about Billy Collins Ten Poems too Many? (06/2006) is one of my all-time biggest hits, drawing more comments than any other.

Re-reading my response to a reader named williez, I think it's worth elevating to full blogpost status:

This question of "accessibility" comes up a lot in all the things I love, not just in poetry. Stephen Sondheim's musicals have been commercial flops and "inaccessible"; symphonic composers of the mid-20th century fell into opposing camps - those who continued to use rhythm, melody, and harmony to create dramatic or beautiful effects, and the others who aimed for a purity of technique unsullied by emotion - typified by Milton Babbitt's famous question to the public, "Who cares if you listen?" (surprise! He was Stephen Sondheim's tutor.)

Your response made me wonder at this part: Popular poetry rehashes an outmoded aesthetic: the single-subject "I," the "poem-as-truth," the "look how observant and sensitive I am," the "open-a-vein-and-let-my-truth-spill-out" hokeyness.

When I do connect to a poem, I would like to think it's because the writer has found a way -- be it an image, an anecdote, a bit of rhetoric -- to express something that I didn't know I knew and recognize immediately to be true.

I, too, can't stand the stuff that's all about "me, the poet." But I like the stuff about the poet's world that, deep down, is about me, too.

 [See a curated list of my blogposts about Collins and many other poets at my page Poetry and Secular Psalms.   I've been posting poetry of my own at a blog I call First Verse.  Yes, it's drawn from my experience. And, yes, it's accessible.]

No comments: