Monday, July 11, 2022

Remembering Jack C. Maier, 1925-2005

Jack, left, with his very young uncle Frank, and going to war
On this blog, I've written memorials for members of the generations that were the loving grownups for me and my siblings. But Uncle Jack C. Maier died just before I started to blog.

Details of his life and career were covered in many publications at the time of his death. He was a prominent businessman, joining his father-in-law Dave Frisch in building the Big Boy Restaurants from a local Cincinnati eatery to a nationally recognized brand. I remember also that he competed in horse shows, flew his own plane, and assisted my father in starting a business.

For more personal memories of Uncle Jack, I can do no better than my brother's letter to our Aunt Blanche. Our father Tom Smoot read the letter aloud in his eulogy for Jack at a service in Cincinnati on Friday, February 4, 2005.

Blanche,

The sad news of Jack passing this morning did not come as a shock, but the news brought an immediate rush of loss to us all. Today is a sad day to all that have been fortunate to have been taken under his wing. There is the loss of a husband and brother to two strong women. There is the loss of a father to all the children that your family raised. There is the loss of a man who balanced authority with love, intelligence with humor and determination with humility.

My summers spent in Cincinnati where always a special time for me. The Monday Night Dinners, days at the farm, cross country trips, playing tennis, playing golf, going the a Red's game or simply seating in the kitchen are all vivid, happy memories for me - and Uncle Jack is a part of each memory. He was not actively in each event, but his presence was felt at all times in Cincinnati. I never wanted to displease Uncle Jack - his approval was always needed and desired.

As we have gotten older, I have an even greater respect for what you two accomplished as husband and wife. I look at the strength of your family. I look at determination against odds that members of your family have faced and beaten. No doubt the love that binds your family offers the will to overcome. The love that started with you and Jack has multiplied with each child, each grandchild and I dare say with a few nephews and nieces.

Please know that the love that started with you and Jack will now come full circle and embrace you with all of the power and grace begun with you two.

Please know that Uncle Jack will always be with me - and I am a better person because of him. I will miss Jack, but I will never be without him.

Love to you and the whole family... Todd L. Smoot

(l-r) Frances M. Smoot, her older brother Jack Maier and his wife Blanche, ca. 1975

No comments: