Saturday, July 30, 2022

Biking Viking Country

←← | ||

Scott Smoot riding Iceland's Highway 1, the "Ring Road," virtually

Since May 15, I've biked 1600 miles around Atlanta. On the map of my virtual tour of the world, that distance takes me from Gander, Newfoundland to Reykjavik, Iceland, where Vikings settled over 1000 years ago.

In the photo, I'm joining a bike tour around Highway 1, Iceland's "Ring Road." I'm a little under-dressed, as the temperature in July is 13.5 Celsius, or 56 Fahrenheit.

Mom and Dad toured Iceland in 2000. They toured without their usual travel partners, my Uncle Jack and Aunt Blanch, who missed their plane. [Find what I've posted about them all at my Family Corner.] Mom's postcard shows a little disappointment -- "The weather was clear 1 of the 3 days" -- but Dad, the geologist, got a kick from seeing roads paved with lava, inspecting a geothermal power station, and experiencing a magnitude 6.2 earthquake -- which, Mom says, they did not feel. Though I've never been to Iceland, I can use the transitive property to include it on my itinerary of "places I've lived or loved."

You may wonder how I reached the island on a bike. The apposite principle of physics, discovered by DC Comics, is explained in Biking to Iceland (06/2022).

 


 

1600 miles from Newfoundland to Iceland
May 15 - July 30, 2022

←← | || Use the arrows to follow the entire bike tour from the beinning.

No comments: